Public Notice: Destruction of Special Education Records

Destruction of records begins on August 6, 2018

Notice is hereby given that Marblehead Public Schools Student Services Department intends to destroy the records of all students who exited from any special education program prior to and during the 2010-2011 school year.

Any student, or former student, who has reached 18 years of age, may review and/or receive these records by contacting the Student Services Office at (781) 639-3140 ext. 4 to schedule an appointment by August 3, 2018. Destruction of the records will begin on August 6, 2018.

According to federal law, parents and guardians lose their right to review or obtain these records when their child (the student) reaches 18 years of age or starts attending a post-secondary institution, whichever occurs first. However, a parent of a child with a disability who is 18 years of age or older may retain parental rights provided a court has appointed legal guardian to the parent.

Upon review, a copy of any information contained in the record will be provided to the parent/guardian of the eligible student.

Once an appointment is scheduled, the record will be held for review for ten days after the appointment date. If an appointment is not kept or if the appointment is rescheduled, the file will be head for 10 days from the last scheduled appointment.

If no student, parent or guardian responds to this public notice, the school district will assume consent to destroy the entire record specific to the student.

In accordance with federal and state laws, special education records are maintained for up to seven years after the student exits the special education program. A permanent record of the students name, address, phone number, grades, attendance records and year completed is maintained for 60 years.

The purpose of destruction is to protect the student from improper and unauthorized disclosure of the confidential information contained within the file. Please note that certain records may be needed by the student, parent or guardian for social security benefits or other purposes.

If you do not understand this notice or are in need of interpretation, please contact Student Services at (781) 639-3140 ext. 4.