The Glover School is named after General John Glover. In 1775, as a colonel, he commanded the 21st Massachusetts Regiment from Marblehead. The regiment participated in the siege of Boston June of 1775.
General George Washington commissioned John Glover's schooner “The Hanna,” to raid British supply vessels. Many lay claim that the Hannah was the first vessel of the Continental Navy which later evolved into United States Navy.
Over the course of the Revolution "Glover's Regiment" became the 14 Continental Regiment. The Regiment was composed almost entirely of seamen, mariners and fishermen and was often used in action on the water. The regiment is best known for ferrying Washington's army across the Delaware River at night for a surprise attack on Hessian (German) Soldiers.
Colonel Glover returned home to tend to his sick wife and to look after his business affairs. General Washington personally appealed to John Glover to return as a Brigadier General. He took the commission and was assigned a brigade made up of four Massachusetts regiments and participated in several battles.
At the end of the war, General Glover returned to Marblehead. Though retired from the military, he was still actively involved in government becoming a town selectman, delegate to the state convention that ratified the U.S. Constitution (1788), and member of the Massachusetts House of Representatives (1788-1789). General Glover died in Marblehead in 1797 and is interred in the Old Burial Hill Cemetery.