Role of the School Nurse
School nursing is a specialized practice of professional nursing that advances the well being, academic success, and lifelong achievement of students. To that end, school nuses facilitate positive student responses to normal development; promote health and safety; intervene with actual and potential health problems; provide case management services; and actively collaborate with others to build student and family capacity for adaptation, self-management, self advocacy and learning. The school nurse links the health service program within the school and the community.
Absence Due to Illness
If your child is absent please call the schools attendance line before school begins and leave a message with the specific
reason for the absence. This information will help monitor illness trends and keep all students well. If your child is
contagious, please keep him/her at home until your doctor has cleared him/her for return to school.
• Strep Throat-Students being treated for strep throat must be kept home a minimum of 24 hours after treatment begins.
• Conjunctivitis/Pink Eye- Students may return to school after 3 doses of antibiotic treatment.
• Vomiting and Diarrhea- Students should be kept home for 24 hours after episodes of gastrointestinal distress.
• Fever-Students should be fever free without the use of fever reducing medication for 24 hours prior to returning
• Head Lice-Please notify the school nurse if your child contracts head lice. We will notify parents of any head
lice concerns and serve as a resource for treatment. Please do not keep children out of school for this very
common childhood condition.
(information taken from elementary school handbook)
Please notify your child's school nurse for any of the following:
- Serious injury, illness, or hospitalization
- Planned surgery
- Communicable diseases such as chicken pox, strep throat, scarlet fever or fifth disease
- New diagnosis or change in your child’s health status
- Fracture, sprain, stitches, cast, or crutches (a physician note is required for crutches and/or a wheelchair to be used on the school premises.)
- New medication and/or dosing change.
- Need to be excused from Physical Education or recess