How to clear the web browser cache
How to clear the cache in Google Chrome
1. Delete the browser cache with a shortcut.
The fastest way to get rid of the cache data in Google Chrome is the option "Clear Browser cache". You can access this function with the following shortcut:
- Press the keys [Ctrl], [Shift] and [Del]. Be sure you press all the keys at once.
- A new window opens: "Clear Browser cache".
- Here you can select in the upper dropdown-menu, for which time period you want to delete the cache data. You can select between "last hour", "last day", "last week", "last four weeks" or "all".
- If you want to delete all cache date, select "all".
- Check the box in front of "Images and Files in Cache".
- Submit your selection by clicking the "Delete Browser data" Button.
- Reload your site.
2. Clear browser cache manually
If you don't want to use the keyboard shortcut to call the function "Clear Browser data" you can access it manually:
- Click on the "Menu" in the upper right corner of Google Chrome and Open the Browser setting. You can recognise the menu by the three stacked dots.
- Next, you select the option "more tools".
- In the next step click on "Delete Browser data".
- Now you can follow the steps from the description above and select the specific time period (Step 3).
How to clear the cache in Mozilla Firefox
If some websites cause issues when loading or don't show updated contents, it's possible that it's because of the cache. Get to know, how to delete the cache in the browser Mozilla Firefox.
1. Fast delete with the keyboard shortcut
For deleting the browser cache with a shortcut in Firefox please follow these steps:
- Press following keys at once: [Ctrl], [Shift] and [Del]. A Popup opens with the title "Clear recent history".
- In the dropdown menu, you can define the time range you want to delete the cache. You have the following options: last hour, last two hours, last four hours, today or all.
- To delete all data, select "All" from the dropdown-menu...
- Afterwards, click on the arrow next to "Details" and toggle the different possibilities to chose which data should be deleted. If you want to delete only the cache, then only mark the checkbox next to "Cache".
- With a click on the button "clear now" you delete the cache.
- Reload the site afterwards
2. Delete the cache with the window option in Firefox
Alternatively you can also clear the cache also through the window-menu. Please follow these steps:
- Press the key "Alt" on your keyboard. The window menu from firefox opens.
- In the menu, "History" select "Clear Recent History…"
- Now the Popup-Window opens like described in the instructions above.
- Follow the steps above from the second step.
How to clear the cache in Microsoft Edge
When Websites are not loaded with the latest data, it could be because you have to delete cached files, in order to let the browser download new data. To empty the cache you can follow one of the instructions below:
1. Clear browser data in Microsoft Edge with the keyboard shortcut.
- Press the keys [Ctrl], [Shift] and [Del].
- A new Window opens. Select the option "temporary services and files".
- Confirm your selection by clicking on the "delete" button.
2. Delete the browser cache in Microsoft Edge through the menu.
To delete the browser cache in Microsoft Edge through the menu, follow these steps:
- Click on the "Menu" in the upper right corner of Microsoft Edge and open the Browser setting. You can recognise the menu by the three stacked dots..
- Then go to the "Privacy, search and services" item in the left menu
- Here, under "Clear browser data", click on "Choose what to clear" and a pop-up window will appear.
- Select the desired Time range and check the "Cached images and files" option. Confirm the selection by clicking the "Clear now" button.
MAC OS Google Chrome
How to clear the cache in MAC OS Google Chrome
To delete the browser cache in your Google Chrome browser on a Mac please follow one of these instructions.1. Using the keyboard-shortcut
- Press the keys [shift] + [cmd] + [del].
- A new browser tab with a popup window opens. In the drop-down menu at the top, you can select which time range you want to delete the cache. You can select from the following options: past hour, past day, past week, last 4 weeks, the beginning of time. If you want to delete all the cache data select "the beginning of time".
- Enable the checkbox "Cached images and files".
- Click on the button "Clear Browsing data" and reload the website.
- Click on "Chrome" in the main menu.
- Select "Clear Browsing Data..."
- The popup window from the first instruction opens. Follow these instructions from step 2 onwards.
- First, click on the three dots in the upper right corner of the browser window next to your URI bar.
- You can access the "Clear Browsing Data..." from the menu item "More Tools" or from the "Settings".
- If you select "Clear Browsing Data..." the popup from the first description opens. Proceed as described in the first instruction from step 2.
- If you select "Settings", the browser settings open in a new window. Scroll to the bottom and click on the link "Show advanced settings".
Depending on your screen size you might have to scroll down to see the link.
- Click on the "Clear Browsing Data..." Button.
- The popup window from the first instruction opens. Follow those instructions from step 2 onwards.
MAC OS Safari
How to clear the cache in MAC OS Safari
If you want to delete the browser cache in Safari, you can do that quickly with a keyboard shortcut or through the developer menu.
Apple makes it easy: Deleting Safari's Browser cache through a keyboard shortcut
The fastest way to clear your cache is to use following shortcut: [CMD] + [ALT] + [E].
Clearing the cache through the developer menu
You can also enable a developer menu in Safari to enable several professional options. To display the developer menu:
- Select the first item "Safari" in the main menu and from the drop-down the item "Preferences..."
- A popup opens. Click on the tab "Advanced".
- Check the option "Show Develop menu in menu bar" at the bottom. Now you should see a new menu item in the main menu named "Develop".
- If you click on the menu item "Develop" you can select "Empty Caches" from the submenu items.
- Reload the site.